T+3

A collection of various latest things:
Both the French and German embassies have officially recommended (via postings on their embassy websites) that non-critical citizens leave Japan.
American Embassy homepage recommends following local Japanese government recommendations.
For once, the American advice is sensible.

The Fukushima nuclear reactor situation continues to suck. Water level in the #2 reactor dropped significantly, exposing the fuel rods and possibly causing a partial meltdown. However sea water is again being pumped in, and the water level has risen once again.
It is utterly FUBAR, but again the worry of Japan turning into an irradiated lump of char off the coast of Japan is grossly over-stated.

Tremors and earthquakes continue. Anything smaller than 6.0 is now a complete non-event; "Oh looky, building is swinging again...what, call it a 5.5? Nah, 5.3...sushi for lunch?"

Kids' school is closed Monday and Tuesday, just so they can make sure the building is safe. Also huge numbers of foreigners are simply leaving, so some international schools are just closing for weeks at a time, with no students. Will find out tomorrow if our school will open on Wednesday or not. Either way, kids are going to the other day care we always send them too when school is closed, so no crisis.

Scheduled blackouts continue to roll  through the greater Tokyo area. Central Tokyo's 23 wards (with the exception of Arakawa Ward! Who did THEY piss off?) are unaffected. But trains are planning to shut down, etc. so I suspect work will be another ghost town all week.
Market sold off heavily as expected, nice fat 5.3 earthquake in the middle of the AM session didn't help, either. Probability of various trades and deals getting down goes down and down. Everyone believes in the eventual recovery of Japan, but not so many investors interested in buying in right now.

Mighty Mo has no idea what's up and continues to scream "I GOT it!" and wants to do everything himself. He also likes singing, especially the Totoro theme, Itsy-Bitsy Spider, and the alphabet song, sort of.
Tonchan definitely knows something is strange; she is incredibly clingy, wants me to carry her all the time, and needs to sit in my lap whenever I am home. At least I am coming home early enough now to have dinner with the family, put everyone in the bath, and get everyone to sleep. My buddy says his daughter (in the same class as Ton) is the same way. Kids know!

1 comment:

Jennifer Ockner said...

Great post. Re: the international exodus from Japan - same exact thing happened during Hanshin EQ in 1995. I knew a few JETs who up and left within days. My sense is they were waiting for an excuse, and I bet that most of those leaving Tokyo now are of the same mindset - perhaps getting paid in dollars, which continues to suck. . . I hope they open the kids' school back up. Getting home early and spending time with the family is a major upside indeed. Keep the posts and info coming.